In 2013 obesity was defined by the American Medical Association as a disease and is not just a cosmetic issue or a lack of self-control. This disease is caused by a variety of factors including genetics, the environment, behavioral, psychological, dietary, and other lifestyle habits. Obesity is measured using body mass index or BMI. It has been found that as your BMI increases, your risk for other illnesses, diseases and even death gets higher. Obesity is defined as a BMI of 30 or higher. Clinically severe obesity is a BMI of greater than 35 if you have other medical conditions or a BMI of 40 or higher. If you have clinically severe obesity, you may be a good candidate for weight loss surgery.Find out your BMI
The Weight Treatment Center offers comprehensive weight loss options designed to empower you to get to a healthier weight. Our program provides you with the support of our health experts you need to help you meet your weight loss goals in a way that is comfortable for you. You can choose from:
- Non-surgical weight loss with our nutrition, exercise and behavior experts
- Physician directed weight loss
- Weight loss surgery
Non-surgical Weight Loss Program
Our non-surgical program incorporates the expertise of health professionals to help you maximize your weight loss efforts. You will learn to identify behaviors and strategies that will help you lose unwanted weight and teach you how to keep it from coming back. Following a free seminar; we will evaluate your current diet, exercise and lifestyle behaviors and discuss appropriate weight loss options for you. We offer both individual and group settings to help keep our program cost effective for you. If you would like to have blood work or to be evaluated for weight loss medications, you can choose to be evaluated by one of our preferred weight loss physicians in our network as you work with our team individually or in groups. Our groups include guidance from our dietitians, behavioral health specialist and exercise physiologist.
Weight Loss Surgery
As the most experienced weight loss surgery team in the state of Utah, we can give you the tools to help you decide if surgery is right for you. We know that one solution isn’t the right answer for everyone. St. Mark’s is different as we give you the information you need to decide which of the four surgical weight loss tools is right for you. You can choose from:
- Gastric band (Lap-Band®)
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric Bypass
- Duodenal Switch
Weight loss surgery is a powerful tool to help you make lifestyle changes, manage your hunger, and lose weight. Weight loss surgery works by making the stomach smaller, limiting absorption of nutrients, or a combination of both. These changes as well as some hormonal changes can also help improve hunger as well as medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea.
Supporting Your Journey
Our team is devoted to making your weight loss journey as pleasant and successful as possible.
- Most experienced surgeons in Utah to guide and support you
- Behavioral health specialists to help you prepare for surgery and lead support groups.
- Registered dietitians to provide comprehensive nutritional counseling for all stages of your weight loss journey.
- Knowledgeable experts assist you in developing an exercise program so you can reach and maintain your goal weight.
- Financial Counselors use their knowledge of insurance criteria and approval processes to guide you through the financial process.
- Support groups allow you to meet other people sharing your journey, learn from each other’s successes, and find people who understand just what you are experiencing.
Social media sites like Facebook and Pinterest to keep you connected and educated.