We offer outpatient diabetes education for patients with any type of diabetes or diabetes-related issues. A physician’s referral is required, but patients may call us and have our office request it. Call us at (801) 268-7100 today to schedule your appointment! Call the Diabetes Educators at (801) 268-7358 if you have any questions or concerns.
Our outpatient services include:
These comprehensive 3-hour classes are held once a month for patients newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Please call (801) 268-7358 for the next available date.
Individual counseling is a meeting between you and an educator to assess your current practices and education needs. We will help you come up with an individualized plan to improve your health and diabetes control. You can expect to discuss any of the following topics that are pertinent to your situation:
- What Diabetes Is, Understanding Medical Terms
- Causes and Treatments of Diabetes
- A1C and Blood Glucose Levels
- Proper Nutrition and Meal Planning
- Weight Management
- Diabetic Exchanges or Carb Counting
- Medical Nutrition Therapy, Combining Guidelines for Multiple Conditions
- Treating a Blood Sugar that is Too High or Too Low
- Insurance Coverage and Cost Savings on Diabetes Supplies
- How to Get the Best Care from your Doctor
- Preventing or Treating Complications
- Sick-day Guidelines
- Behavioral Management
- Traveling with Diabetes
- How Medications Work
- How to Properly Give Insulin
- Insulin Pumps
- Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring Systems
- Medical Devices Trial Periods
- Adjusting Medication Doses and Timing for Optimal Glycemic Control (We do not write prescriptions for medications or supplies.)
We know that follow-up is one of the most important parts of diabetes education. Some things you can’t learn all at once. Sometimes “Plan A” didn’t work out as expected. And sometimes you just need encouragement to keep going with your lifestyle changes.
We also provide inpatient diabetes education as requested by hospital staff. We will also support patients in using their own insulin pumps and CGM systems during a hospital stay, if appropriate. These can be done anytime during normal business hours.
*Insurances usually cover most or all of the fees associated with diabetes education but you may wish to clarify this with your insurance personally. St.Mark’s Hospital is able to accept all insurances except those that specify their members only use another hospital facility.