August 09, 2016
- ACC Accreditation Services recently designated MountainStar Healthcare hospitals with atrial fibrillation, chest pain and heart failure accreditations.
- ACC Accreditation Services established accreditations to improve treatment and outcomes for patients along the continuum of care.
- Patient care improvement goals for each accreditation vary; each one aims to save more people's lives and significantly reduce disabilities related to serious heart conditions.
Five MountainStar hospitals including St. Mark's Hospital recently achieved Atrial Fibrillation Accreditation and Heart Failure Accreditation from the ACC Accreditation Services. Seven MountainStar Healthcare hospitals also achieved Chest Pain Center Accreditation for improving the delivery of timely and effective treatment of chest pain including heart attacks.
St. Mark's Hospital and four other MountainStar hospitals represent the only healthcare network in Utah to meet the rigorous criteria for all three accreditations in 2016. Additionally, this is the fourth consecutive year that seven MountainStar hospitals achieved Chest Pain Center Accreditation.
ACC Accreditation Services established the accreditations to improve the collaboration and integration of hospital teams and departments, which leads to better treatment and outcomes for patients along the continuum of care. Patient care improvement goals vary; each one aims to save more people's lives and significantly reduce disabilities related to serious heart conditions.
"As a healthcare network, we are committed to helping patients with heart conditions to live longer, healthier lives," said John Cooper, cardiovascular service line director at MountainStar Healthcare. "Achieving these accreditations confirms our ability to intervene quickly using best clinical practices when patients experience symptoms of atrial fibrillation, chest pain and heart failure."
A general overview for each accreditation follows:
Atrial Fibrillation Accreditation
Improve the care delivered to the rapidly increasing population of patients with the most common cardiac arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation. Offer the right tools at the right time and provide state-of-the-art care with the goal of reducing the accompanying risk of stroke and potential loss of life.
Chest Pain Center Accreditation
Evaluate and improve the diagnosis and treatment of patients who present with heart attack symptoms. Preserve the integrity of the heart muscle by reducing the critical window of time before blood flow is restored (door-to-balloon time).
Heart Failure Accreditation
Organize the delivery of care to patients with heart failure in a systematic manner that supports adherence to national guidelines established by the American College of Cardiologists and the American Heart Association and other evidence-based quality initiatives.
Here are some highlights of what multidisciplinary teams at St. Mark's Hospital and other MountainStar hospitals are doing to further improve care for patients with symptoms of A-fib, chest pain or heart failure:
- Proven practices to orchestrate, monitor, and optimize clinical processes.
- Facilitating a speedier diagnosis, immediate stabilization and treatment to mitigate life-threatening conditions, and optimal patient outcomes.
- Employing a multidisciplinary, patient-centric approach from admission through discharge.
- Utilizing standardized sets for physician orders and ensuring appropriate length-of-stay.
- Collaborating with physicians and emergency medical service providers to integrate out-of-hospital interventions.
- Preventing unnecessary readmissions with established care coordination at discharge, early follow-up care and patient/family education.
- Measuring performance; adhering to best practices and patient outcomes; using data to improve the quality of care.
ACC Accreditation Services established accreditation designations to improve patient outcomes and optimize resource utilization at hospitals across the United States. Its operational models help hospitals to plan and organize the delivery of care in a systematic manner that supports adherence to evidence-based guidelines and quality initiatives. The criteria for each of its accreditations contains essential components aimed at organizing and streamlining process improvement efforts.
About ACC Accreditation Services
ACC Accreditation Services is an international, nonprofit organization that focuses on transforming cardiovascular care by assisting facilities in their efforts to create cardiovascular centers of excellence that deliver quality care and patient satisfaction in a cost sensitive environment. As the accreditation services arm of the American College of Cardiology, ACC offers individual hospitals and hospital systems the support needed to effectively reduce variations of care and bridge existing gaps in treatment. Through its collaboration with actively engaged, multidisciplinary teams, ACC is _Taking Science to the Bedside(tm)_ and improving outcomes in the management of heart disease. ACC Accreditation Services