St. Mark's Hospital - May 11, 2017
- Jonathan Blanch has stepped down as chair of the department of medicine. If you are seeking an opportunity to make a difference in how healthcare is delivered among our medicine department specialists by serving as medicine department chair, please contact Dr. Jim Roth, medical staff president.
- A new Adult Oxygen Therapy Weaning Policy was approved by the MEC in March. This policy will apply to patients who are not on oxygen on admission and incorporates a standard protocol for weaning oxygen, based upon the premise that training our staff in the use of a standard weaning protocol will result in patients being appropriately weaned from oxygen earlier in a hospital course, reducing delays in discharge. Home oxygen therapy will continue to be available for those patients unable be completely weaned.
- The MEC approved that all antibiotic orders must include an indication and a duration, with the exception of one time orders, effective May 2017. Typical indications will be built into Epic with the option of entering an unlisted indication by free text. A dropdown box will be provided to document duration. A communication from the Pharmacy will precede this implementation.
- The MEC approved that all iron supplement orders will be substituted with the equivalent ferrous sulfate preparation, based upon publications in the American Journal of Hematology that found no one iron supplement to be more effective than another.
- An urgent amendment to the Bylaws of the Medical and Dental Staff was approved by the MEC, and subsequently by the Board of Trustees, adding provisions for the Trauma Program required by the American College of Surgeons in anticipation of the upcoming survey on May 2nd.
- Barrx™ radiofrequency ablation was approved by the MEC as a treatment for Barrett’s esophagus.
- Patient Safety Director Appointed
- End-Tidal CO2 for PCA Monitoring
- Oxygen Weaning Protocol
- Adding MSSA Pre-Operative Screening
- Remarkable Handwashing Training
- Assault on Central Line Infections
- Reducing Catheter-Associated UTI
- War on Clostridia Difficile
- We Need Your Help to Prevent Infection
- Antibiotic Stewardship
- BioFire Respiratory Panel Available
- From the Medical Executive Committee
- PICC Line / Mid-Line Team
- Voices Heard / Improvements Made
- Advanced Practice Professionals in OR
- VTE Reduction in Hip & Knee Program
- New Medical Staff Appointments
- Retirements / Resignations