April 2017 - Graduate Medical Education Review
Family Practice Residency Program:
- Dr. Richard Allen, program director.
- ACGME accredited; 4 residents for 3 years.
- Dr. Karl Kirby appointed designated institutional official for Utah Healthcare Institute – program sponsor.
- Dr. John Dame joins faculty June 2017.
Colorectal Surgery Residency Program:
- Dr. Michelle Murday program director.
- ACGME accredited; currently 2 residents.
- Program moving from Utah Healthcare Institute GME oversight to HCA – St. Mark’s Hospital 7/1/17.
- IV acetaminophen (Ofirmev) restricted to initial dosing.
- Pharmacy-directed dosing approved for:
- VTE prophylaxis dosing increase in morbid obesity
- Therapeutic substitutions for estrogens, anti-glaucoma agents, antihistamines, vitamin/mineral supplements
- Privilege form revision approved clarifying peripheral vascular criteria for Cardiovascular Medicine.
- Dr. Jeffrey Kurrus announced as new Medicine Department chair, replacing Dr. Jon Blanch.
- Megan Evans, PharmD announced as new director of pharmacy, replacing Steve Crandall is retiring.
The following Pharmacy & Therapeutic Committee requests were approved:
- Restriction amendments for:
- Micafungin to include critical care
- Entresto (sacubitril/valsartan)
- tPA/Dornase to include interventional radiology and cardiothoracic surgery
- IV push promethazine in PACU
- Policy Amendments:
- Increases pharmacist support for TPN
- Therapeutic Substitutions approved:
- Metformin XR
- Mycophenolic Acid
- Divalproex ER
- Pancreatic Enzymes
- Fibric acid derivatives (fibrates)
- Steve Bateman retires as CEO
- Enhanced Surgical Recovery (ESR)
- Text Messaging Patient Information
- Procedural Sedation - Renewal Exam
- Physician Parking – Avoid the Boot!
- Grapevine Requests for Physicians
- Responding to CDI Queries
- Medical Executive Committee
- EDEN Links Added to Grapevine
- Medical Staff Portal
- Voices Heard / Improvements Made
- St. Mark’s Recycles
- Epic Improvements in Process
- Environment of Care Improvements
- Research at St. Mark’s
- Utah Life with Dignity Order - POLST
- Clostridia difficile testing changes
- Xenex UV Disinfection vs. C difficile
- Target Pre-Op Vancomycin
- Observer & Students – Clarified
- Malignant Hyperthermia Drills Planned
- Always Prepared – Joint Commission
- New Medical Staff Appointments
- New Advanced Practice Professionals