Nonsurgical weight loss options in Salt Lake City, Utah
At St. Mark’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah, we believe that one weight loss solution is not the right answer for everyone. This is why our Weight Treatment Center offers a variety of nonsurgical, easy weight loss options to help you meet your health goals.
For more information about easy weight loss options at St. Mark’s, please call (801) 783-1841
Whether you need to lose 20 pounds or 200 pounds, our weight loss team in Salt Lake City, Utah will build a weight loss program customized to your needs and lifestyle—because it not just about the food that you eat.
Easy weight loss programs at St. Mark’s Hospital
Weight loss surgery is not necessary—or an option—for every person that wants to lose weight. Depending on how much weight you need to lose to improve your health, the St. Mark’s weight loss team can suggest a variety of nonsurgical options to begin your weight loss journey, such as:
- Metabolic testing using the ReeVue Metabolic Analyzer
- Body composition testing with the InBody 230
- Medical evaluations with a provider specialized in weight loss
- Individual appointments, group visits and classes that help you develop weight loss behaviors to help you "Eat Smart. Be Active. Think Well"
What is a body mass index (BMI)?
Your BMI is important in determining the best way for you to lose weight.
BMI is a measure of body fat based on weight and height for adults. Generally speaking, weight loss surgery is indicated for individuals who are at least 100 pounds or more overweight or who have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater.
You may still be a candidate for surgery if you have a BMI of 35-39 and suffer from serious co-morbid health conditions, which would improve with weight loss.
Free BMI calculator
If you are ready to take action and start improving your health, start by finding out your BMI using the calculator below.
BMI is categorized as follows:
- Healthy (BMI 18.5-24.9)
- Overweight (BMI over 25)
- Obesity I (BMI 30-34.5)
- Obesity II (BMI 35-39.5)
- Clinically Severe Obesity (BMI over 40)
What to do about your BMI
If your BMI is 25 or higher, review the guidelines below to help you plan the next step in your weight loss journey with St. Mark’s Hospital.
- Register for a free nonsurgical weight loss seminar (Healthy Lifestyles Program).
- Schedule an appointment for personalized health and diet coaching with a registered dietitian by calling (801) 268-7479.
- Schedule an appointment for a health evaluation with a primary care physician specialized in weight management. The physician will help determine if you are a good candidate for weight loss medications.
- Talk with your provider about weight loss surgery if your BMI is over 30 and you have another medical condition, such as diabetes, sleep apnea or high blood pressure. St. Mark’s physicians can also provide medical weight loss programs to help you satisfy your insurance requirements prior to surgery.
- Attend a free weight loss surgery information seminar or watch it online to learn more.
Do you have questions about weight loss options? Let us help. Please call us at (801) 783-1841.
If you think you may be a candidate for weight loss surgery, learn more about our weight loss surgical options and preparing for surgery.